Roman Catholic Mission, 1912
In July 24, 1912, Arsene Turquetil boarded the M.S. Nascopie at the port of Montreal. On September 3, the vessel dropped anchor at Chesterfield Inlet (Igluligaarjuk). With the authorization and encouragement of Bishop Ovide Charlebois, Bishop of Keewatin, Father Turquetil founded the first Catholic mission on the west coast of Hudson Bay. He named it ‘Mission Notre Dame de la Delivrande’, after a sanctuary devoted to Our Lady in Normandy, close to Reviers, his birthplace in France.
The Roman Catholic Mission commemorated its 100th anniversary in September, 2012.