Turquetil Hall (Iglurjuaraaluk)
The Turquetil Hall (Iglurjuaraaluk) est. 1955 opens for student residence (originally called St. Mary’s Residence – later called Turquetil Hall) students arrived mainly from Igloolik, Pelly Bay and Repulse Bay, a small number of students included from Baker Lake, Arviat, and Pond Inlet.
Many of today’s Inuit leaders received their early education in Chesterfield Inlet. Throughout the 1950s and into the 1960s the only school in the Keewatin was in Chesterfield Inlet. Children from other communities and camps were sent here. They lived at Turquetil Hall, formerly on this site. By 1969 there were schools in most settlements and the residence was closed. It was torn down in 1983.